Sunday, February 10, 2008

Just Sit Right Back and You'll Hear a Tale...


The charts have been consulted, the gear has been loaded in the car, and the provisions have been accounted for. This is no three hour tour.

I arrived in Charleston yesterday evening, after a bit of a delay at Newark Liberty Airport. I was very happy to step outside at Charleston Municaple Airport. There was a warm breeze blowing, and I always imagine I can smell the sea from there. Bob was there to greet me, and even though it was late, we headed down for a late dinner at 82 Queen, where I enjoyed a dish of shrimp and grits, which had long been on my mind. Afterwards, we enjoyed the evening just by walking around town a bit, and then heading to the Southend Brewery and Smokehouse for a libation (the night air being dry and all). The beer is all made on premises, and if you ever get there, try the Southend Brown. I can give this one a personal recommendation. There is also a ghost story associated with the place, however the barkeep with whom I spoke had no personal experience of the ghost.

Today we headed to a sale at West Marine, to stock up on some boating gear that we felt we might need. And afterwards, Bob, Ronda, and I returned to Downtown Charleston to walk about the historic district and visit a few interesting galleries. We stooped by the Blind Tiger Pub to rest a little before hosting friends Dennis and Annie for a hastily thrown together cookout. We may have put it together hastily, but the food was good and so was the company. Hopefully Dennis will be able to drive down and meet us in Savannah. Soon we will finish watching the traditional pre-sail showing of "The African Queen".

Tomorrow morning, we will get up early for a drive down to Beaufort, where the boat is currently docked. Our plan is sail down close to Savannah and spend the night at anchor, then tie up in Savannah Tuesday morning. We will knock around town for a day, and then leave Wednesday morning for the ocean, where we will do some deep water sailing, and spend our nights at a suitable anchorage. We plan to be back in by Friday evening, and are planning a good nights entertainment for Saturday night in Charleston.

I will update this as I can during the trip, so check back occasionally if you like. I hope to be blogging you all soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another vacation time for Lefever..Keep moving buddy...